Monday, January 24, 2005

Delphi Installation Organization Part.1

Part 1: Introduction
Since long time ago, I wanted to explain to other "delphiers" how I have organized my Delphi and how I store the settings so when I reinstall my OS.. I have set my Delphi in a few minutes as it was before reinstalling the O.S., so time has come and I will explain.
Let's start from the very beggining that is the partitioning of the Hard Disk,
I have partitioned my hard disk in serveral partitions... (one thing I recomend to everyone to do) . Normally I have C,D,E,G,X partitions. Let me explain the uses I do for the Partitions.
C= OS.. In this partition is where the OS is installed. Nothing else.
D=Programs. All programs are installed in here.. (Delphi for expample would be installed on D:\Program Files\Borland\...)
E=Internet. Small partition for Internet server ftp...
G=Data. This is the most important for me. All my Projects, Data, Documents are in here.
X=BackUps. Entire partition is Compressed. All Backups go to here.

Why the Use of diferent partitions for diferent purposes? Quite easy.. Everyone surelly know about this... after some months.. about half a year your OS get "dirty" and messed up and you start beginning to think to reinstall it. For me it is as easy as chewing a gum.. Because of all this partitioning I only need to copy my "documents and Settings" data to another folder and reinstall the os by deleting completely the C partition where it is only the OS data... all other data is safelly stored in the other partitions.
Well after explaing all this.. I start with my Delphi folder organization. My Delphi settings "live" in the G: partition... so you can substitute this G: with the letter of the partition you may use.
I have Two folders in the G: Partition for Delphi, and just to finish this Article (Part 1) I will enumerate the most important and explain both:

G:\BDS Projects is the folder where I store all my delphi projects. No need to explain the folder hierarchy as it is not important.


G:\BDS is the folder where I have stored all relative to Delphi. Folder hierarchy is as follows:

|-- G:\BDS
|
| |-- G:\BDS\_DotNET
| |
| | |-- G:\BDS\_DotNET\_library
| | |
| | |-- G:\BDS\_DotNET\_library dcuil
| | |
| | |-- G:\BDS\_DotNET\_library test
| | |
| |-- G:\BDS\_Win32
| |
| | |-- G:\BDS\_Win32\_bpl
| | |
| | |-- G:\BDS\_Win32\_Consts
| | |
| | |-- G:\BDS\_Win32\_dcp
| | |
| | |-- G:\BDS\_Win32\_library
| | |
| | |-- G:\BDS\_Win32\_library dcu
| | |
| | |-- G:\BDS\_Win32\_library test
| | |
| |-- G:\BDS\Component Library
| |
| | |-- G:\BDS\Component Library\Albert Research
| | |
| | |-- G:\BDS\Component Library\GraphicEx
| | |
| | |-- G:\BDS\Component Library\KBMMemTable
| | |
| |-- G:\BDS\Documents
| |
| |-- G:\BDS\Experts
| |
| | |-- G:\BDS\Experts\GExperts
| | |
| |-- G:\BDS\Programs
| |
| |-- G:\BDS\Settings
| |
| | |-- G:\BDS\Settings\Bin
| | |
| | |-- G:\BDS\Settings\Delphi 2005 Examples
| | |
| | |-- G:\BDS\Settings\Objrepos
| | |
| | |-- G:\BDS\Settings\Patches
| | |
| | |-- G:\BDS\Settings\Path
| | |
| | |-- G:\BDS\Settings\Registry
| | |
| | |-- G:\BDS\Settings\Settings Profile

and that was it for today. Tomorrow or after tomorrow I will explain the main purpose of some folders in Part 2 of this article. See you then...



No comments: